10 Fun Solo Activities You Can Do Without Leaving Home
Living alone while being stuck at home during the quarantine can be a scenario that is less than ideal. There will come a point where you might begin to feel restless or stir-crazy from the prolonged isolation. Since going out is not an option, finding something productive to do while at home can still be challenging.
After all, your hobbies and house chores can only keep you busy for so long before your to-do list is empty, and you find yourself bored again. Unfortunately, you will need to stay home for an indefinite amount of time because of the quarantine. Fortunately, however, there are a lot of fantastic ways you can stay occupied and focused on something while you are home by yourself.
When you have to stay home because of quarantine, connecting to the world through the internet can help you stop feeling lonely and bored. You can browse the web to see more of what it has to offer. Who knows, you might end up finding something new that you will love.
- Join a streaming platform. Now, streaming can be a lot more than just watching movies or TV shows somewhere. Many streaming platforms also provide people with a space to share their passions and art with the world. The streaming app Bigo TV, for example, allows people to film live streams and post photos about their daily lives, hobbies, and more. You can watch video content or make your own and interact with the community on these platforms, too!
- Dive into a new series or movie anthology. Maybe you’ve been meaning to start watching The Office or the Saw film franchise, and now is the perfect time to do so. Aside from just deciding to binge-watch it on Netflix or your favourite streaming service, why not willingly go down the rabbit hole?
There is much more to that show or film than just the central plot after all. Watch the gag reel and deleted scenes, learn about the lore and the details about the production process, or get to know the cast. A lot of heart and effort goes into making TV programmes and movies. Taking the time to learn about it will not only be entertaining, you might find yourself loving those episodes or movies even more!
- Go online shopping. Buying anything can be a huge hassle during quarantine. Many retail shops and malls are closed, and stores often lack a number of essential and non-essential items due to hoarding and limited shipments coming in. When you find yourself in that situation, purchasing things online can be a great solution.
Not only do you limit your exposure to COVID-19 by shopping from the comfort of your home, but you will more likely find whatever it is you need available online. Looking for sellers, comparing prices, and waiting for your parcel to arrive is half the fun of online shopping. It can also teach you a great deal about being patient as well.
- Sign up for an online community of like-minded people. If you loved going to conventions or meetups with people who share your interests, you can still do that virtually while you are quarantined. Look for online communities that share your interests on social media and other platforms. You can also join a dating app or two to connect with like-minded individuals as well. You might even make new friends along the way.
- Look for paid remote work. If you are out of work or school during quarantine, it can be easy to feel anxious from having too much time and no source of income. However, this is the perfect time to look for online work to make a bit of money. Since working from home is the new norm, people hiring individuals to perform small outsourced tasks have become more common. From translation to graphic design, you can take on a few short-term projects that pay decently—without leaving your home.
Being stuck at home for an extended period of time can make you feel like you are stagnating. Since you have a lot of free time, why not use it to self-actualise? You will feel more motivated about getting up in the morning and feel a sense of fulfilment as you see yourself getting better.
- Learn a new skill. Have you always wanted to learn how to do calligraphy, fix a car, or code a website? Now is the best time to start as you have little to no distractions! Sign up for a free online course or invest in a webinar to help you get started. Watch YouTube videos for a better visual presentation and apply what you’ve learned by testing yourself. After all, your newfound trade can be another feather in your cap.
- Re-evaluate your goals. When was the last time you sat down and thought really hard about your life goals? Having more time can give you a clearer head to self-reflect and ask yourself what it is you really want in life. Write down your goals somewhere and include details on how you plan to achieve it. This is especially helpful if you find yourself feeling lost in life and unsure about what your next step should be.
- Teach yourself to play an instrument. Remember that instrument you bought or were gifted years ago that is now gathering dust in your home? It’s the perfect time to bust it out, wipe it clean, and make beautiful sounds with it. With the wealth of video tutorials and learning apps available, you might find yourself playing like a pro in no time at all. Besides, playing music can help calm you down or keep you occupied when self-isolating begins to affect you negatively.
- Become fluent in a new language. If you want to engage your brain, learning a new language is one of the best ways to do so! You learn a new method of communicating with other people and dive into another culture as well. No need to learn a language that is entirely new to you, either. You can also expand your vocabulary and fluency in a language you already know and just want to get better at.
- Read more books. Revisit the joy of unwinding and reading a good book during the quarantine. Choose books on topics that genuinely interest you or explore the other works of your favourite authors. Reading a book is still an immersive and enriching experience like no other. With more time on your hands, picking up a book and reading it may be the best thing you can do for yourself.
There are more than a few ways to remain busy and preoccupied even if you are just by yourself at home. Whatever you choose to do from the list above, make sure that you are maximising the time you have while you are in quarantine. This is an extremely rare occurrence that might only happen once in your lifetime, you might as well enjoy it!