A story about this — 6 years ago
Finished it up in less than 3 days. Here’s a list of highlights I did in my review.
1. Birthday Girl – a girl spends a really strange, quirky, unique, unforgettable 20th birthday
2. The Seventh Man – two boys, a typhoon and a big wave, a lifetime of regrets
3. The Rise & Fall of Sharpie Cakes – Sharpie cakes, a Sharpie contest and a Sharpie test on Sharpie Crows
4. Tony Takitani – the story of a man named Tony Takitani
5. The Ice Man – a woman who tries to love an Ice Man. Literally an Ice Man.
6. Chance Traveller – how coincidence or fate or a person may open our eyes.
7. Hanalei Bay – about a woman, who loses her son to a shark in Hawaii .. and discovers herself. I thought the ending should be different, but perhaps that would be a tad cliched.
8. Where I’m Likely To Find It – (my favorite) has loads of dialogue that you really get into the mind of the main character. It was very unique in style .. the way it opens up and lets you in on things as if you are right there. I can’t go into the story because it will spoil the experience completely.
9. The Kidney-Shaped Stone – a man Junpei tests out his father’s theory that for every man there are only 3 women in his whole life that will matter. He starts obsessing after #1 thinking that he must be careful with his limited chances, so that he ends up being a love-em-and-leave-em type. Meets a woman named Kirie and she teaches him a thing or two.
10. A Shinagawa Monkey – (second favorite or tied first) about a woman Mizuki (Ozawa) Ando who always forgets her name and wants to find out why.
Which one were or will be your favorites? :)